Completed in May 2006, the Scorpion was built by Arvil “Shep” Shepherd in the USA. Best known for his photorealistic automotive paintings and also for his custom painting of Corvettes, Motorcycles and Vans. Shep has also built several Street Rods, Customs, and Sports Cars. The project initially started in 1996 when plans were purchased from a company in California (now out of business) and Shep modified them to suit his own needs.
The Scorpion is powered by a 1980 1100cc Gold Wing Motorcycle engine. that has an electric reverse. The chassis of the vehicle is built from Marine grade 1/2" plywood Monocoque style which has then been covered with fibreglass and is supported by a full rectangular steel undercarriage. This is attached to a modified Triumph Spitfire front section. A roll bar is also incorporated into the body which also features a removable sunroof and gull wing type doors. The head lights are hidden below a section of the hood which when activated drops down to reveal the headlamps. Further lights are hidden behind the front grille which also houses sequential lights that spell out the word SCORPION. Whilst the parking lights have come from a 1998 Camaro and the "Bumperettes" from a 1948 Pontiac the tail lights are from a Volkswagon Rabbit.