Serpollet tricycles were first built in 1883 (France) by Leon Serpollet. The first vehicles were steam powered and were made from parts that Serpollet found in his workshop though in 1885 he joined forces with Armand Peugeot (who was an ironmonger and cycle maker). This resulted in a 5 seater steam vehicle that was twin cylinder steam powered engines of 4-6hp giving the vehicle a maximum speed of 16mph. Over the following few years a number of various vehicles were made that also included a 12 seater bus.
In 1891, the company stopped producing 3-wheelers and created 4-wheelers. With these Serpollet achieved a World Speed Record of 75mph in 1902 with a steam powered vehicle. The company ceased trading in 1907 with Serpollet’s death.