The Eagle Tandem was first manufactured in 1899 in Altringham, Cheshire (UK) by Ralph Jackson who had been a bicycle manufacturer for a number of years but the vehicle was not to get its Eagle name until 1901. Jackson’s first vehicle was powered by a 2.5hp single cylinder engine. In 1901 when the company was taken over by Sydney Begbie to become the Eagle Engineering & Motor Co. Ltd the vehicle became the Eagle Tandem and the engines were up rated with three models being introduced. A De Dion 3.5hp was used to power the standard Eagle Tandem whilst a 5hp engine was used on the Aster and MMC models. Until 1904 the Eagle Tandem was the same design as its rival, the Century Tri-car until a new 3-wheeler range was introduced. This included a single seater “runabout” and a New Eagle Racer that was powered by a 16hp 4-cylinder engines with an estimated speed of 80 mph.
At the same time Eagle also introduced a 4-wheeler range of “Eagle Cars”. In 1907 the Eagle Engineering Company was wound up and the vehicles were assembled at Broadheath Generating Station and being sold through St Georges Motor Car Company in Leeds, Yorkshire. (UK). As a result Jackson started to call these vehicles “New Eagle” but few cars sold and production of the Eagle ceased in 1908.