Archive 3 Set 2: Gallery 221 - 240

Archives of your 3-Wheelers

Gallery 223

My thanks go to Dave Eggett for these photos of his 1958 Reliant Regal Mk V van.  The first photo shows the van as it used to be. (The eagled eyes amongst you may also spot a 1959 Mk V saloon in the backgraound).  Dave writes:

I have just "dusted off" a Pair of old Reliant Regal mark 5 tricycles. I am in the early stages of sorting out what I will do with my two Reliant Regal Mk5's. One is a van and the other is a saloon. The trikes are both 45 years old and as you probably know, they are fitted with a revised version of an engine which was first designed to power Austin 7 cars of the 1930's. There are also a lot of spare parts, drivers handbook and Workshop manuals.

The mk5's have been in a lock up garage for a long time. I have owned one of them for 32 years and the other for about 22 years. I got the saloon wheeled out and inspected it as much as I could.  There is some work needed to patch a hole in the chassis. The damaged part is about 350mm long. It is along the drivers side leg of the chassis at the point where it turns up over the rear wheel. A rectangular piece of steel about 400 x 25mm will need to be welded in. It is actually as a result of a poor repair made years ago which has held water. The rest of the chassis is in good condition. It all seems to pass the MOT prod, tap and lever test.

The fuel tank is in a poor state and may need to be replaced. The tanks of newer reliant's are a different shape but should be an exact replacement. It is a cylindrical drum which could be easily fabricated in any case. All three shock absorbers seem ok, with dusty surface rust, rather than pitting. I have some used spares if needed. The steering King-pin seems to be ok for play as do the steering ball joints. I have two spare front end assemblies in case they are needed.

All the brake lines need new pipe. I have one brand new flexi of the two needed, They are standard parts, easily obtained from a motor factor. The brake back plates are "dusty rusty", but sound. again I have spares if needed. The master cylinder (same as a Series 3 Land-Rover Clutch) is solid and needs to be replaced. I could not test the slave cylinders without taking off the brake drums, but I suspect that they will be like the master cylinder - shot! I will have to do some digging to find out about replacements, but they are a standard 1960-1970 type cylinder off a variety of cars of that age. The clutch and the handbrake are both rod operated so no hydraulic worries there.

The exhaust seems to be intact but I can't tell about the inside without taking it off. It is very easy to fabricate a new one from off-the shelf new parts if necessary. The engine turns over very freely by hand with the spark plugs out. (Oiled and turned over by me regularly over the years!). There are no signs of major oil leaks. The spark plug leads would be best replaced. I have brand new contact breaker points, (a few un-opened sets! - they are standard old Ford parts). The spark plugs are old but seem in good condition. They are Champion L10 plugs, which have been superseded by L86 plugs I think. (I have a list of the AC, Bosch, NGK and Lodge equivalents somewhere, something else to look out!). The radiator seems OK, again I have a spare if needed.

Lighting seems OK, just some lenses to refit on the back and a couple of connections to repair. The windscreen washer pump needs to be replaced and new wipers are needed, I have the arms, but the new blades are needed. The speedometer and fuel gauge need replacing, I have spares! The starter is a great big button on the dash and I have two spare starter motors if needed. The front floorboards need to be replaced, they are in 3mm ply. I think they should be replaced with 6mm myself. An easy job with an electric jigsaw. Then the front seats need to repaired and screwed to them.

The passenger side door handle needs to be replaced, again from existing spares!  The windscreen is unchipped and will pass an MOT test, and as you may have guessed, I have a spare!

As you can see The trike is definitely a bit of a project, but I am confident that it is easily done. In fact I could supervise my 10 year old grandson to do all but the welding, it is that simple. It will take a bit of elbow grease, but most of the cosmetic work needed is not necessary for an MOT test.

When I say that I have spare parts above, these do not include any parts taken from the van. There are also three other engines in different stages of build, although one looks like spares only as it has a hole in the crankcase. It doesn't look too bad though, so I wonder if the damage could have been done after it was removed from the vehicle- dropped or something? There is a spare back axle, a gearbox, lots of brake, body and chassis spares. There are also electrical and instrument spares. I still have a lot to sort through!

I am really getting into finding all the parts I have stashed around the house. I have found two different Haynes workshop manuals, The original Factory Workshop Manual and the Factory Drivers Handbook. There is a current V5 for the saloon. I also found two sets of green documents for the van. The van was registered in 1960, but the chassis is from another trike registered in 1959. I did this rebuild myself in the late 1970's. This is why I am fairly convinced that the van will be in better condition than the saloon, when I finally get around to inspecting it.

The 1959 vehicle is also the source of a lot of the spare parts. As it was never declared scrapped, I suppose that a new chassis could be made and a third trike built from the spares.(I always wanted to use these parts to make a replica of the 1930's Reliant Regent 10cwt van

Data extracted from the Reliant3wheeler forum.