Built at the Macchi Aircraft factory in Italy from 1947 the Aermachhi was powered by a flat-twin 750cc engine. The vehicle had 8 forward gears and 2 reverse gears with power going to the rear wheels. From 1950 the engine had been updrated to a 973cc 2 cylinder air-cooled diesel engine. The vehicle still had a fully enclosed two-seater cabin and had a variety of bodies that allowed a carrying capacity of 1.5 tons.
In 1960 the company was acquired by Harley Davidson and renamed Aermacchi Harley-Davidson SpA. Shortly after that another takeover saw the name change again, this time to AMF-Harley-Davidson Varese SpA.
In 1970 the 3-wheeler division was sold to Fratelli Bennan and 3-wheelers continued production in that name.